Navigation bar

Monday, May 03, 2010

Custom Rapid-Prototyped Wheel Spacers

After putting on a set of coil-overs my car the stock Style 30 BMW wheels would not clear the coils. When I had the car set at the the desired ride height the coils were about half-way down the strut body. The springs now resided lower than stock and combined with the +38mm offset of the stock wheels the tires rubbed against the springs. To remedy this I removed the helper springs and cranked the spring perches on the front struts until they did not make contact with the tires: I did this so I could get home from the BYU lab we were in.

I hatched a plan to clear the springs until the Style 5 wheels were done being refinished. To accomplish this I would learn a CAD program and have friends in the Engineering Department at BYU develop a spacer for me on the CNC. This was great, but I had a lot to learn. I started by taking multiple measurements from the center hub, mating surfaces, and wheels. I compiled all this information into a model I constructed on VIACad. After I was satisfied I sent the model to be produced on a rapid prototyping machine at school. This is the finished product. They are 10mmm wide, and fit perfectly.

Checklist:
  • Learn VIACad
  • Take Measurements
  • Construct Model
  • Produce Prototype for dry fit
Still to do:
  • Source aluminum for actual spacers
  • Produce spacers and acquire extended wheel bolts




Aren't they pretty?

No comments: