Navigation bar

Friday, February 08, 2008

2008 BMW 335i: Test Drive


The verdict...
  • Flat out fast!
  • Quick tight shifting
  • Seats that hug
  • More than enough bang for the buck, but not on a college student salary.
My wife came home from work and lured me to BMW of Pleasant Grove. She claimed that she saw a 2002tii sitting in the lot. We hopped in the trusty 325is in search of the mystery 2002. It was inka orange, but was barely distinguishable under the three or four inches of snow and dirt. It looked like it had been sitting there for some time. There were rust spots and an overall hue of untidiness. My wife said, "From the freeway it looked cool. But, when we got closer it looked like there were five smokers in there at one time." Well, we had to make the most of our Friday night out. We decided to take a stroll through the showroom after I had sufficiently started to salivate as we cruised through the dealership parking lot. In the showroom were a brand new M5 and M6. Plus a 335i. I made the mistake of asking, "What would a guy like me have to do to drive a car like that?" The salesman asked, "2-door or 4-door." "Two door!" I was pickin' up what he was laying down. I have never driven a car that fast.

The twin-turbo in-line six was more than I could have imagined. I pulled through traffic with a prerogative of its own. The manual six speed was oh-so smooth. The entered the freeway in second passing the ongoing traffic, and hit 110 mph in fourth gear. The salesman tried to egg me on. But, I knew that was too rich for my blood, still with an additional two gears to chew up the road. The 2005 M3 Competition Package, with a 0-60 ph time of 5.5 secs would still be in the rear view mirror of this monster, which touts an impressive 4.8 sec 0-60 time. After driving this can I do not doubt it. I couldn't help but smile.

No comments: